Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Sadness of the TV Accent

After dinner last night and the movie tonight, I'm wishing more and more I had an interesting accent. I actually wish that on top of an accent I spoke more than one language, its not only useful it's cool. And cool is what I'm striving for (I have a life goal: Become an interesting person). The problem with my accent, which when I was studying in England made me easy to identify as American, lacks a distinct region.

People can tell I'm American, past that they've got nothing. So do I start imitating people's more interesting dialects or just embrace my own universally understood American?

I don't want to be fake, that defeats the purpose, so instead of imitation I have to stick with my original accent, and use my diction to stand apart.

My spoken language is rather interesting, my mother finds it amusing to imitate, my sisters find it amusing to mock. I cannot tell if they way I speak has people looking at me sideways out of curiosity or because they think I'm silly or stupid. In my insecurity I fear the latter but I always hope for the former.

After all of my failed interviews I'm beginning to think faking a southern accent would do more for me than not.

Anyone willing to coach?

No comments:

Post a Comment