Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Aging: How are you handling this whole big thing?

The boss man declared that he is not having a quarter/mid-life crisis. My friend posted the year her intern was born in outrage. And I have to keep reminding people that I don't understand their cultural references, the time they are talking about was mostly mega-blocks for me.

But both the boss man and the friend are (or about to be) the big 3-0. One won't say it aloud and the other hides  behind the fact that she can pass for much younger. So why is this a big deal? I didn't think 30 would be a big deal. He's a rather successful person and she's married and figuring her shit out. But the way they're freaked out has me freaked out.

If my boss can't say that he is going to be 30 in my presence then what the hell am I going to do when I reach that old age? I'm 23 and that scares me, my relative year and a half of stagnation not withstanding, every time I have a birthday someone explains that when they were my age they were married and had children (thanks mom!).

If the past year and a half hasn't put a damper on my by 30 successes then lets not focus on those. Lets focus on the fact that I have no grey hair (suck on that 30-somethings) and only that average 40-somethings sun damaged skin. I have yet to grow crows feet! But can't see past my hands without the aid of ever thickening lenses.

Hurry marry me off before this gets any worse!

1 comment:

  1. Actually, turning 30 was a LOT less scary than i thought it would be. I'm enjoying it.
    When i saw my intern's birthdate though? It just plain ol weirded me out that these 'kids' are now old enough to work and be called adult.
    I find it strangely comforting though that in interacting with him, he's pretty green. It made me realize that just because you're old enough to be called an adult doesn't mean you really know how to act like one. It made me realize that though i love to be kiddish, i'm actually a grown up and I think so differently than I did at your age or younger and it is oddly comforting.
    Hang in there :) 30 sounds scary when you're 23 but when you get here it's actually okay:)

    ReplyDelete