Saturday, February 12, 2011

Diving

There is something to be said about having a good bar to drink in. I think we should all be so lucky to be like the folks on the tele who walk downstairs from their fancy apartments and land in cozy pub type bars where everything in their lives unfolds into a nice mapped out something or other and the drama is cleared up in 24 or 48 minutes depending.  I happen to live in a place where no such bar exists.

The bars in the nearest town (because I don't actually live in a town) are either way too pricey from my two-job, seven(ish)-day-a-week salary or leaving me wondering if I should have rewashed the glass before having someone fix me a drink. And while I complain about these places they're not that bad, a coked up waiter might be the worst of it, that, or the possibility that I will be stuck for forever in the parking lot because it is so full people stopped parking in parking spaces.

All the bars in this little place are always filled to the brim with people who are willing to drink in any and all of these establishments. Though I'm not entirely sure that it's the dive bar thing that they are looking for, plenty of people with plenty of money land in the cheapest holes.

Last night as I observed one of these places I realized that maybe it's not the money. It's more likely the acceptance of whatever that attracts people to these places. They are the only place where it is acceptable for an NFL player and his ex-cheerleader/playboy posing wife to hang out with a possible she-male and his/her pantie-lined male companion.  It's also a place where adult women can get their spouse plastered and while sitting on his lap be petting another man's pants. Your pants don't have to reach your shoes, your hair doesn't have to be real or tidy and who cares if your camo doesn't quite match, we can't see you anyways.

These places also have the highest under 45 crowd which is probably the second reason we go to them. You might see someone you know, in the high school reunion sense and they won't be your friends from preschools parents (or will they?).

I look forward to the day when I can go to a bar I like. Where the air isn't so heavy that everyone who returns from the bathroom must sniff loudly and rub their noses as the reenter the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment