Sunday, December 12, 2010

Making It Up As I Go

 The rules of the game have changed. What was said, and written, seem to no longer stand so I have no choice than to make it up my own rules as I go.

First, I need a doctor's note. I'll see if I can procure one of these some time this week. Shouldn't be too hard, a mental health day always does a body good any who.

Second, I need the stars to align and the weather to be horrid when I wake up, I also need a few calls and emails about jobs to at least put my mind at ease. I'm hurting myself by playing dirty, it'll shrink my paycheck to a scary small point, but I am a human and deserve to be treated like one, something the acting store manager has yet to figure out.

Third, I need the cosmos to align and make everything ok. It's vague but this is dirty (?) laundry that doesn't really need Internet airing. But I need this black hole of the last couple of months to turn into a bright sparkling wonderful thing. Sooner would be better, please cosmos, the whole thing makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

So here's the game. I work retail, the hours are never predictable this time of year, you could get 47 or you could get five and the bills aren't getting paid either way so 47 looks better and better. Lately, the schedule that is put out a week in advanced has started to count for nothing. So one particular manager, who I admittedly detest, and I'm sure she feels the same about me, likes to just change the schedule. She cut me a few days this week and told me I'm not allowed to work more than 16 hours, this is incorrect and that makes me angry. Today when I got to work she had decided to cut seven hours from my week. No cool. One of the shifts I understand, if there are no boxes to open I have nothing to do but last time I checked cutting a four hour shift means that you lose four hours from your week, though I'm beginning to think people think I'm daft so I'll roll with it. But what I don't get is when I show up at 2 PM next Saturday what am I supposed to do now that she's changed it so that I don't work until 6 PM?

I will not be working that's what. That's where the doctor's note comes in. An MD is a slacker's and, in my case, a disgruntled employee's best friend. Thank you future writer of a doctor's note. (It'll probably be a GYN if I can get someone to forge one for me, no one will ask about the lady problems, and if they do I'll remind them that HIPPA is a real and serious law thing.)

I'm actually getting increasingly angry as I write and I know that my flow is super off, so I'm going to head to bed. I have a lot more I need to make up that pertains to real life and not Ann Taylor (I mentioned you again, and in an ugly light, contact me higher ups, we'll have a chat).

No comments:

Post a Comment