Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Unofficial Snow Day

I woke up at 5:30 AM per my usual work routine, there was snow on the ground as was expected. My job has a weather hotline for delays and closing so I diligently called it but because the roads appear to be clear all was working on a normal schedule. So I clean off my car tightened my windshield wipers (because I need new ones but that would mean going to the auto parts place) and headed out. I made it fine until I hit the paved roads and even then I only slid a little.

I was driving rather carefully because the roads looked wet and felt icy. I didn't make it far before passing people was difficult. The roads I drive are not main roads so there are plenty of long curves and switch backs. One of those long curves got me. At 20 miles an hour I lost my back end which was followed by my front end and as I spun ass first into the lane I saw visions of the two snow plows in that lane getting me good. I missed the first one by about six inches and the second one stopped as i continued to spin. I recrossed the road and in an instant of bad decision making I slammed on my breaks because I was headed toward the ditch. Thank goodness it worked though I had spun 900 degrees. After a bit of breathing I decided that because I was pointed toward the way I came that I would be returning home instead of heading toward work.

The funny thing about Virginia weather is that is insanely unpredictable. It is raining and snowing at the same time. The news said the roads would be too warm this morning for the roads to freeze. The news is not always right about the weather. It isn't right about roads either,  when ice is falling out of the sky there will be ice on the roads, it has nothing to do with the fact that yesterday was nearly 40.

So work people and news people I'm sorry I'm a winter weather failure. But I won't risk my life because some lady in a suit told me that as long as I was alert I'd be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment