Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Have a Photographic Memory, for Numbers

I don't. I'm good with numbers, dates, locker combinations and the like, but today my good with numbers was trumped by a man with what appears to be an actually photographic memory. I was working this morning and a man came up to me and explained that he needed to make a return but didn't have the credit card or its replacement but he knew the card number, expiration date and security code. And he did.

 I was green with envy.

I fear that this lack of stimulation is actually making me stupider (ie stupider). My intelligence is oozing out my ears, my memory is filled with useless facts like stock stats and product placements. I'm consulted often before people go looking for things in the back because two out of three times I know what we have and what we don't. I try to keep myself stimulated (that's what she said, you're welcome Hannah), editing the newspaper, crossword puzzles, reading things, doing mental math problems. It helps but its not enough. I'm losing my grip. Not long ago I misattributed a quote, my spelling -which was improving slowly- is growing worse. I can't even self-diagnose illness and injuries any longer, I may have a sprained hand or a bruise, I have a tumor or a cyst or arthritis or something. And I have the sneezes and a sore throat which could be a cold or pneumonia.

Someone help!

No comments:

Post a Comment